This time last year we were meeting Moco for the first time. Wondering if we were going to make a good impression at our first meeting. Wondering if we were cut out to be the parents to a then 7-year-old boy who had lived in 13 foster homes since the age of 2. Wondering if he would love us the way we imagined he would. What a way to begin 2008.
As each month passed, we became more of a family. The hubby and I learned more about one another in a few months than in 9 years of marriage. It's amazing what the addition of a child will do to a couple. We became stronger and more unified in making decisions - heck, we had to back up whatever the other parent said/did. We truly began to value our time alone together...and still do. ;)
There was no greater joy than when the judge finalized our adoption of Moco by saying "from here and until the rest of this boy's life...you will be his forever parents. No matter what you go through together, [as she turns to look at the hubby] you will be his dad and you [as she turns her gaze to me] will be his mom until the end of time."
The rest of the year was filled with family and holiday experiences. From our first time trick-or-treating to seeing Moco open a multide of Christmas presents just for him, no event was ever done just for him. We finally saw him realize that we loved him more than he could imagine.
2008 will be one of the best years we've ever had. Yet, as I sit here remembering the past...I can only imagine how awesome 2009 will be. :)
Happy New Year everyone!
1 comment:
I need to get better about my blog reading! And updating!
So sweet! 2008 was a magical year, I can only imagine that 2009 will be even more special!
Post a Comment