My best friend told me recently: "You know, I'm a little sad that you are not the Catholic that you once were. I mean you are still a really good Catholic, but you used to teach CCD, run a youth group..."
For more than 12 years, my husband and I were those "crazy Catholic" twenty-somethings who would inspire youth to get fired up about their faith. To be Soldiers of Christ and fight the good fight. When our parish needed something done, the priest would look to us to get things moving. Parents made us examples to their children; we were the last resort to bring their kids back into the fold. Before those years, I participated in the youth group, retreats - you name it. Heck, I was always at the church. I was one of "those" church kids. My family sat in the same pew every Sunday and everyone knew who we were.
My pal's statement alone made me ponder. What am I doing now? I go to church every Sunday. I make sure my son is learning the foundations of our faith. Each night we saw prayers together. Yet, could I be doing more? Focusing just on myself, I remembered how my morals were what set me apart from the crowd. I stood up for my faith even when it made me the outcast. The fact that I "waited until marriage" is still a topic that causes to shock people. To sum it up, my faith made me special. In the past, my BFF would constantly state "I'm going to heaven on your coat-tails." Would they still be able to?
With Lent a week away, I've set forth a challenge to myself. To do my best to become that pillar of faith I once was. Nothing radical. Just a small start to go back to the person I once was.
No comments:
Post a Comment